Saturday, March 6, 2010

An Invisible String Connects My Heart To Yours



Today was bittersweet. I had another successful day with the kids but had to say goodbye, which was even more difficult than I had expected. After the usual day of Art and English class, there was a little party on the patio out back where the kids got to break a pinata. The celebration was in part for some of the kids' birthdays. It was a great way to end my time there. The kids were so excited about the pinata & candy. We took pictures, sang songs & played the ukulele together before it was time to say goodbye. I found myself wanting to ask for just one more hour. But, Scott & Julie had come back to the orphanage and I was riding back to Managua with them. And unfortunately, it was time to go . . .

Some of the kids say goodbye like it's no big deal, fully aware of the amount of people who come and go, bring gifts, sing songs, give hugs and then leave. But some of the kids, the ones who I made a stronger connection with or got to know a little better, have a very difficult time saying goodbye. So do I. One little girl in particular, who I fell for the first time I came here, was here this time as well. She and I have a special bond, a feeling I'm sure many visitors to come here feel. When the time came for me to say goodbye to her, it completely broke my heart. She grabbed onto me around my waist, and buried her face in my side. She was crying and did not want me to leave. It was one of the most horrible feelings I have had, to leave her there in tears not understanding why I can't just take her with me. Scott, Julie & I left the orphanage to come back to Managua and even though I'm looking forward to doing some traveling here in Nica in the next week, I am already missing the kids.

1 comment:

Erratt Family said...

If you could, I would love to hear more about how everything at Tierra de Judah is going, and how all of the kids are doing. I lived in one of the upper rooms of the orphanage for two months in the summer of 2005. I really miss it, and I would love to go back some day.

If you have time for any type of correspondence, my email is Alyssa_Erratt@baylor.edu

I commented on an earlier post, but I wasn't sure that you would see it.